Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Coon Killer

I live in a rural farming area. As in, my yard is surrounded by fields on three sides. I don't remember living anywhere but where I currently live. This time of the year its common to see lots of critters running around. Bunnies, raccoons, groundhogs, deer. The usual Hoosier wildlife that like to run across the road at dusk. I've gotten used to subconsciously scan the sides of the roads as I'm driving to keep an eye out for four legged creatures. 

Last night was one of those nights. It was dark and I was driving on a local highway, just minding my own business. All of a sudden I saw a flash of movement by the ditch, which proceeded to run across the road right in front of me. A raccoon, of course. After a slight increase in my heart rate and a short tap of the breaks....THUMP!! Roadkill. I felt horrible. Seriously, I just killed an animal. There was nothing I could do to prevent it either. If a raccoon could make the decision to commit suicide, this one was there. Poor little thing. Even though it isn't cute like a bunny or Bambi, I was still made at it for running in front of my tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment